Provisional Transportation Waiver Program (PTWP)
2017-2018 School Year
The St Johns County School District Provisional Transportation Waiver Program (PTWP) extends transportation services to students assigned to district schools based on space availability and criteria.
Applying for a Waiver:
- Only the Transportation Department may approve waivers.
- Parents/guardians may apply for waivers.
- Principals may apply for waivers on behalf of students and parents/guardians on an as needed basis.
- Parents/guardians and/or principals may apply for waivers at any time.
- Waiver applications are available at the PTWP tab at www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/transportation. The application is also posted on the main school district web site under the Provisional Transportation Waiver link on the left hand side.
- For emergency waivers, please see the emergency waiver paragraph below.
- Under emergency circumstances, school principals may contact the Transportation Department by phone to initiate a temporary emergency waiver.
- The Transportation Department will provide verbal approval of emergency waivers to principals, dispatch, and bus operators.
- Emergency waivers are temporary and conditional, valid for up to two (2) school days pending formal application for the waiver by parents/guardians or principals.
- Transportation will expedite emergency waivers within one (1) school day once an application is received from parents/guardians or principals.
- Applicants will receive immediate email confirmations when applications are electronically received by the Transportation Department.
- The Transportation Department will inform applicants by email regarding waiver decisions.
- The Transportation Department will inform applicable school principals regarding approved or suspended waivers.
- Parents/guardians must substantiate extenuating circumstances for the student, parent/guardian, and/or family.
- Parents/guardians must submit applications with all fields completed to include a thorough explanation of need for the service. Transportation will reject incomplete applications.
- Bus and/or buses must have space availability for the student.
- Student riders must utilize existing buses, routes, stops, and schedules only.
- Student riders may not transfer from bus to bus.
- Waivers are approved for the period requested not to exceed the school year.
- Waivers are applicable only for the approved student, buses, routes, schedules, and stops.
- “Bus passes” are not authorized for use on district school buses at any time.
- Waiver applications are reviewed and approved/disapproved by a Transportation Committee based on space availability and appropriate criteria.
- For waivers submitted during the summer through the first four (4) full weeks of school, please see the table below:
St Johns County
St Johns County
St Johns County
St Johns County
|Waiver Decision Timeline||By third (3rd) full week of school||By third (3rd) full week of school||By one (1) week prior to school start||By one (1) week prior to school start|
|Effective Date for Approved Waivers||By fourth (4th)full week of school||By fourth (4th) full week of school||First (1st) day of school||First (1st) day of school|
- Note: Space availability on school buses is lowest in Northwest and Northeast St Johns County. Transportation requires the first month of school to determine actual ridership by eligible student riders and redistribute student loads across buses. Accordingly, Transportation will approve/disapprove waivers and allow students with approved waivers to ride in accordance with the timeline outlined in the table above.
- For waivers submitted during the school year (after the first four (4) weeks of school), Transportation will review and approve/disapprove waivers within five (5) business days. Approved waivers are effective upon receipt by applicant.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to make alternative transportation arrangements until when/if waiver applications are approved by Transportation.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to develop contingency plans for transportation services in the event waiver applications are not approved by Transportation.
- The Transportation Department may suspend waivers with two (2) weeks’ notice to parents/guardians due to space availability reasons.
- The Transportation Department may suspend waivers for reasons outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
- Parents/guardians may suspend waivers by contacting Transportation.
- The Transportation Department will register students with approved waivers as eligible riders for buses in Bus Planner (routing system) to ensure accountability of students and effective communications with parents/guardians.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to opt in to School Messenger alerts by text in order to receive timely updates regarding transportation matters.
- From a mobile device, Text “Yes” to 67587. You will receive a response text message stating, “You’re registered 4 SchoolMessenger notifications”.